Did you know? A variety of mental illness factors cost American employers more than half a trillion dollars annually. Maintaining a healthy workplace environment and mental health support is critical to ensuring that your employees can be the best versions of themselves. According to the World Health Organization, the following are some key facts regarding work and mental health:
- Work is good for mental health, but a negative working environment can lead to physical and mental health problems.
- Depression and anxiety have a significant economic impact; the estimated cost to the global economy is US$ 1 trillion per year in lost productivity.
- Harassment and bullying at work are commonly reported problems and can have a substantial adverse impact on mental health.
- There are many effective actions that organizations can take to promote mental health in the workplace; such actions may also benefit productivity.
- For every US$ 1 put into scaled up treatment for common mental disorders, there is a return of US$ 4 in improved health and productivity.
What policies do you have in place to ensure your workplace is a safe and healthy environment for your employees?